Give to the P&C
Contributing to the P&C is a great way to connect with other families, meet new people and play an active role in school life.
Our volunteers make the world of difference and we cannot operate without them. We‘d like to invite you to come and be a part of our dynamic and inspiring association: connect with like-minded people; learn some new skills or contribute your expertise; and get a strong sense of satisfaction from seeing the fruits of your participation make a difference to students
Give your way: Your time, skills or donations
State High is a wonderfully diverse community and there is no one way to volunteer or contribute to the P&C.
Whether it’s through giving some of your time, donating towards fundraisers and appeals, or contributing your skills to P&C operations, projects or events, it is all enormously appreciated.
Some examples of volunteering include:
- Covering short shifts at the canteen or uniform shop (minimising the need for paid staff so that maximum funds can be invested back into the school);
- Contributing your skills on one of our special projects;
- Attending the monthly General Meetings and/or Annual General Meeting;
- Getting involved in planning P&C events;
- Becoming a member of one the subcommittees;
- Joining our executive that serves and governs the P&C
- and many more!
However you choose to get involved, volunteering is a great way to learn how the P&C runs and to contribute to the outcomes of all BSHS students.
Interested? Please fill out the online Volunteer Registration Form and we will be in touch!
General Meetings, open to all parents and citizens, are held on the fourth Monday of each month (during term time) at 7.00 PM, in the PAC building. The car park behind PAC (enter from Merivale St) is available and all are welcome.
Let us know if you are interested in any of the above, or if you have something else in mind, through our Contact Us page. We always love to hear from our parent community!
The Case for Fundraising and Support
Brisbane State High School has a number of groups that contribute their time and energy towards fundraising. This effort is necessary because, in spite of being a public school and being funded by the government, actual funding falls short of the expenditure required to achieve the school’s outstanding outcomes for all students.
Understanding that for many parents, learning of a funding shortfall may come as a surprise, the State High Foundation has prepared a short document that outlines why providing support and financial assistance through fundraising is so important to the school achieving its vision. You can read their case for support here.
BSHS P&C Fundraising
The P&C is a very active fundraiser with parents, carers and community members contributing to fundraising endeavours in a number of ways. These include:
- Functions and Events
- Operating facilities at a profit
- Tax deductible donations to the Australian Sports Foundation
An Executive Committee governs P&C fundraising, operations and administration and ensures compliance with regulatory frameworks established by the Queensland and Australian Governments. You can read more about BSHS governance here.
The P&C’s financial situation is reported each month at General Meetings. All members are entitled to a copy of the Treasurer’s Report, to ask questions and to seek further information about fundraising, business operations and funds distribution.
The P&C promotes a Voluntary Contribution Appeal to raise a proportion of the funds we give to the school, which benefits all students. Parents are asked to consider making a contribution each year to this worthwhile appeal.
Fundraising Functions and Events
Subcommittees, associated with a range of extra-curricular activities, volunteer their time and effort and raise funds throughout their activities seasons. You can read more about the amazing work of sub-committees here. In addition, the P&C runs a number of major events throughout the course of the year, each with a unique focus and goal.
State High Day
State High Day is a mid-year event, open to the public, that showcases the school’s facilities, cultural diversity and sporting prowess. The day features a school tour for prospective parents, many of the home games for all the major Term 3 sports, interspersed with music, dance troupes, and events for the entire family.
This year marks Brisbane State High School’s (BSHS) Centenary Year, and what a year it has been. The Centenary Gala promises to be a sparkling celebration as the official end of a magical year highlighting incredible activities from across the school community in true Blue-Red-Blue spirit.
Funds raised in will go towards the ongoing support of school resources and programs to benefit the whole school community.
CREATE is an annual event held in June that showcases the breadth and depth of student art and creativity. An impressive evening of music, pottery, dance, theatre, visual art, sculpture, film and innovation brings parents and families together in a student-centred showcase of inspiration and talent.
The P&C supports this event by managing and delivering food and beverage options that ensures taste and health are balanced.
What has the P&C achieved to date?
Monies raised by the P&C are used to improve facilities and equipment within our school. Below are highlights of some of the contributions the P&C has made towards students and the school.
- Insurance cover arranged for all students. This cover offers students the protection of personal accident insurance while at school or undertaking school authorised activities, including during sporting activities and school excursions. More information is available here.
- 100% of the total library/resource centre operating budget (includes database subscription costs, internet accessibility for e-book loans and books).
- Contribution to the cost of two vehicles: the school mini-bus and a utility both used for academic-related school excursions and sports commitments. This contribution reduces the cost of excursions to a minimal level.
- Full funding for students and teachers’ excellence awards that recognises teachers’ outstanding efforts in providing for our students.
- $148,200 to cover sporting expenses including sports medicine, venue hire, Fursden Road grounds and facilities maintenance and equipment.
- 100% of the funding for the Executive Principal discretionary funding to assist disadvantaged families with school related costs, and much more.
Fundraising and Sponsorship Guidelines
The P&C is here to support the school community to navigate the Education Queensland guidelines and checklists around fundraising and sponsorship for schools and specifically for P&C’s. To follow is a detailed guide for all parents, sub-committee members and community supporters to ensure that the amazing enthusiasm, goodwill and energy that exists in our extensive and generous community. We look forward to working with you! Click here to access the full document. More information is available by contacting the VP Community on email at firstname.lastname@example.org.